Sunday, September 5, 2010

To Have and To Hold

Yesterday morning as I waited for my husband (Mr Practical) to open his eyes, I had just two little words and one big wish. “Happy Anniversary,” I whispered. And then I waited… “What? Is it the 5th?” I nodded and smiled. I passed him a card and Calvin Klein cologne - he was silent. Yes, he’d forgotten. I’d waited eighteen years for this moment and finally I’d got my wish.

The year was 1992 and I was on my way to his workplace to pick up our car then take the short drive to our home in Wellington, New Zealand for a blissful sleep in a very quite house after a harrowing twelve hour night shift. He passed me the keys, kissed me hello, asked how my night was and I was soon on my way. It wasn’t until I climbed into bed, my entire body aching from exhaustion that I noticed a card on my pillow. Is it the 5th? I remembered thinking. Too late.

Since then, at prime opportunities such as dinner parties and special occasions, very strategically, Mr P has brought it up. It doesn’t seem to matter about the background story and why I forgot. Until now.

Now we are even. Never again can he even begin to mention my misdemeanour of 1992 or he will get slammed with the ‘very recent and no decent excuse’ misdemeanour of 2010.

Now all that is required, is a card (or letter) filled with descriptive accounts of his undying love and devotion, a present that makes me feel loved (name your price) and a date that is planned, booked and executed with flair, romance and a signed pledge to do the housework.

All in all, it’s the simple things that are most enjoyable; finally being let off the hook and getting even, rank right at the top!

2 comments:

  1. Very funny, amazing you have been married that long, you must have been very young :)

    ReplyDelete