Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Twinkle Twinkle Little Store

Some women have shoe obsessions, for others it's jewellery. I didn't think I fit into either category until I stopped outside a little shop today and my eyes started glistening, my head started twitching and I felt drawn into this twinkling parlour of feminine accessories.

Wall-to-wall gold, silver, jewels and feathers (yes, feathers - I know, how exciting!). I almost hyperventilated. It was like Aladdin's Cave but this time, not a fluffy pillow in sight. (See "Unfamiliar Territory" 6 May 2010). I wanted to grab a fellow customer and squeal, "Can you believe it?" as if we were standing in line to meet Michael Buble', but everyone else was very self-controlled and calm. I bet their feminine hearts were doing back flips every time their eyes caught a glimpse of something new.

Instantly, I found earrings and snatched them off the hook. Perfect. Mine. Never have I found exactly what I wanted in such a short space of time. I'm almost as dysfunctional selecting jewellery as I am with soft furnishings. Almost. Now look at me... within the first few minutes I was ready to make a purchase but there was more... so much more!

Racks and racks of glittery jewellery and heavenly headbands that all seemed to be welcoming me in whispered tones. Incidentally, only women can hear their hushed tones. Men are oblivious. Mr Practical refused to enter the store, possibly out of principal as we were actually in the mall to find another store we don't have in our area. That was the sole purpose for trekking across to the other side of the city. I suggested he find a seat somewhere and wait just like the men of a certain generation who understand women don't want a man hanging over their shoulder while they're browsing. That's where a handbag should be - not a husband. Neither does she want to have to go searching for him post-purchase. She wants him ready and waiting so she can bask in the glow of her purchase without being irritated or disturbed.

Chatting with the gorgeous and extremely helpful Kate, she gave me a tour of the store. Some enjoy guided tours of historic buildings or places of significance but I was over-joyed by the Bangle Bar, revived by the Sentimental inscribed range, in adoration of the Breakfast at Tiffany's sterling silver line and I fell head over heals for the French Vintage range. Ooh la la!

Across the room I was introduced to the Sex in the City line where every piece was inspired by a poignant moment from an episode - apparently. (Not really a fan - don't stone me!) Ooh, the adorable Alice in Wonderland range. Too cute. By now my heart rate had climbed off the charts and a sense of euphoria had set in and I'm not even a 'shopper'. Bravo me!

I found the most adorable ring in French Vintage then glanced towards the door. Mr Practical was standing in the middle of the mall aisle, directly in full view. His stance said it all. He looked like a security guard outside a niteclub in the Valley and the look on his face made me feel like I was an under-age student trying to run a fake ID past him.
It was time to quickly snap a few photos for blogging and reminiscing purposes and hit the road. All the way home I tried my new ring on every finger and tinkered with my new earrings. I thought about the gorgeous silky plumes in the Peacock range and frilly fabric headbands and I began planning my next visit. Next time, not with Mr P but arm in arm, girlfriends galore we'd be back, eyes glistening, heads twitching and hearts racing exclaiming,"I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!"


©2010 Philippa Vette

2 comments: