Monday, May 24, 2010

A Matter of Attitude

It was one of those weeks. There were on-going complaints, criticisims galore, grumbling, complaining, tantrums and grievances... and then there was the children's bad behaviour!

Mornings were met with strong opposition to wearing suitable winter clothing from a certain 3 year old and breakfast time presented 'issues' over there being "nothing to eat" despite Big Mama being stocked to the hilt. This child who normally shovells his food into the gaping hole we believe is his mouth, had suddenly become anti-cereal and anti-toast and wanted me to cook a meal. Aint gonna happen, sunshine.

Requests for money, clean sports socks and AWOL library books were yelled through the house, usually when I announced five minutes to departure. When I finally got into the bathroom and was attempting to tame my hair so people wouldn't stare and point or fall on the floor laughing, a fight would break out. Body slams, wrestling and highly-skilled elbow-digging manoeuvres were popular, although immdeiately followed by shouts of, "Mum, get Caylee off me!"


If I could just get them out the door and off to school before I blew a gasket, I'd survive the day. Visions of me slowing down outside the school and hurling them out the car door with, "Love you - see you after school," flashed pleasurably through my mind. Hey! Don't judge. I said I'd slow down! What kind of mother do you think I am?

By the time the car was vacated, I felt exhausted. Usually then I'd have to race to work and be nice. Hence, my attitude had got a little out of hand and needed to be 'tweaked'.

Time to Re-Adjust

After a little 'quiet time' and re-adjustment, I re-approached life. I discovered I'd sailed through events I envisioned would be arduous, I found size 3 tights which were adored, making dressing a breeze, I kept left-overs for the gourmet 'eating-machine' and came up with a great remedy for the disorganised teen: FIND IT THE NIGHT BEFORE OR FACE THE CONSEQUENCES. Even the brawling has stopped. (That may not last...)

So much of what we do as parents involves leadership. And leadership with the wrong attitude still leads - though maybe not in the direction we really want.

One thing is certain; if our attitude is not right, it has the ability to block and hinder valuable insight, direction and opportunity simply because we get so wrapped up in ourselves and the drama of our little world (also known as a pity party) that we simply don't see golden opportunities when they come our way.

Don't miss your moment. Set aside time to check your attitude and 'tweak' where necessary and allow yourself to be postioned for greatness. You'll be glad you did.

Available soon: ATTITUDE card and matching framed print.

No comments:

Post a Comment