Monday, July 5, 2010

Showdown @ Pump 3

Queuing for petrol on discount Wednesday has become part of my weekly routine. It’s a fairly standard practice where the aim is to get cheaper petrol and avoid long queues. Recently however, I discovered some people who don’t like to wait, prefer to make their own rules...

It was nearly my turn. As soon as the guy in front of me moved his monstrous vehicle and trailer out of the way, I’d be cruising up into the vacant pump in front of him – Pump number 3. It would take only a minute or two for him to return to his car and move away but out of the blue or should I say green, a little green Corolla sped down the far side of the outside queue, stopped and darted back in reverse right into Pump 3 position. Hey, that’s my spot! Who would do that? I thought. Definitely a Gen Y male. Instead out stepped a ... granny! (Humble apologies to all Gen Y males. Please don’t CTRL DEL me.)

High Noon
I drove into Pump 4 right behind her green machine. I eyeballed her, I sized her up but my threatening glare was wasted. She was oblivious. I stepped out of my car and I’m sure I heard that music when there’s about to be a gunfight. My fingers twitched at my side, my eyes narrowed. I’m taking you down, sister, I thought, just as soon as I think of something suitable to say. (Words are weapons too.) I quickly rehearsed a few lines but nothing seemed quite right and although she looked fairly harmless, she may’ve had a mean right hook and I wasn’t taking any chances. I've spent a lot on these teeth! I filled my tank and observed instead.

Within minutes there seemed to be an issue with her pump. No petrol was flowing. Suddenly a male voice boomed over the loudspeaker. “Pump 3, hang up your nozzle, wait ten seconds and try again.” Everyone swung around to find Pump 3. I had the best view. She thrust the nozzle back into the bowser with surprising force which confirmed my suspicion that she probably did work out, then snatched it back out and returned to her car. Again the male voice boomed over the loudspeaker but this time his tone was a little more authorative, “Pump 3, hang up your nozzle, wait TEN seconds and try again.” I went inside to pay. I knew what I was going to say to him. That would be so easy. He was just about to serve me when the other counter opened and I was directed away from the loudspeaker guy. I paid in silence.

As I drove out of the forecourt she was still counting to ten. I was tempted to roll down my window and yell, “Was it worth it, sister?” and floor it before she could get a clear view of my number plate, track me down and “pay me a visit” late one night but she had enough to deal with.

Pay Back Time?

Did she get what she deserved? So many people do things and seem to get away with it all the time but the truth is, no one really ever gets away with anything. You may not get to see the consequences rebounding back but they do. It’s called the Law of Reciprocity: what you sow is what you reap.

Sow Good Seeds

When my boys were little I taught them, “If you want to make friends, be friendly. If you want good friends, treat them well and be a good friend.” It's never failed. So, when an error in judgement is made and every fibre of your body wants to shout, “You’ve got what you deserve,” or the ever-popular, “Told you so,” pause and consider mercy.

Mercy is seldom heard of in society because it requires an individual to operate from a higher perspective. Mercy says, “I know you deserve it but I’m removing my role in your punishment. Mercy is to NOT give someone what they deserve. You may say that’s not fair, but just like the granny, sometimes the consequences of their actions are more than enough to deal with. Besides when you grant undeserved mercy you’re actually positioning yourself to receive mercy when you least deserve it, too.

©2010 Philippa Vette

1 comment:

  1. wow that a great story! so true thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete