Sunday, June 20, 2010

Rising to the Challenge

When the challenge had been issued something sparked inside. It was an opportunity to rally, to rise up – a chance to prove to myself I still had the goods. Oh, but I didn’t have a clue!

The Challenge

When my friend and Running Buddy (RB) invited me to run five kilometres with her, I thought, ‘I can do that.’ If I could run three kilometres on the treadmill at the gym, I could manage five kilometres with a buddy for support. With that reasoning safely tucked under my lycra waistband, I accepted the invitation and rocked up one evening to go for a street run.

Easier Said Than Done

Our suburb is full of rolling hills and it was half-way up one of the first hills I decided I should re-think running. It was dark and our dog, Jake was next to me and he kept jostling for my spot on the footpath. If I didn’t pay attention it was extremely likely that I would trip and skid my entire face along the uneven concrete surface. Not the look I was going for!


Half-way up the second hill which seemed to stretch on into next year, RB dropped the bombshell. “We’re almost half-way now.” Wait just a cotton-picking minute!
“We’re almost half way?” I queried, scrambling for air as if I needed to suck it through a straw from a crack in the wall of the earth. “How far are we going?”
“Well, I used to run 5k’s...” Used to...?
“But that was getting too easy, so I added in another block, so it’s now 6.8kilometres. I round it up and call it seven.” That’s a big block, lady! At that moment I think my heart dropped onto the pavement. Bearing in mind that RB is only three weeks older than me, excuses were futile. I hate it when I can’t play the ‘age’ card.

But those beautiful endorphins did kick in and at times I felt like my body was powered by jet propulsion, in fact it was as if a shot of adrenalin was making me super human – like Jesus on water, above the elements. Oddly, RB’s husband drove by in his car and thought I looked “stuffed” right when I was getting my third wind. Hrmph! What would he know? People in the medical field don’t know everything. I wasn’t anywhere near cardiac arrest!

Being multi-tasking women, we even managed to talk while we ran. That’s skill! For the record, it was a much quicker pace than the ‘shuffle’ hinted at on Facebook. We discussed all the important issues of the day; Facebook, what’s on at the movies, favourite recipes and booking that much-needed massage so I could walk the next day.

I thought it was cute that RB measured our running time against her 18 year old son’s.
“He’s got nothing,” she declared.
“He’s got young legs!” I blurted, a stream of sticky spit trailing from my mouth.
“We can outlast him any day.” A big call. This girl’s got gumption!

We made it home and I survived. Several weeks later, I went out for a walk and something on the inside began to stir again. Could I do the run without anyone except the dog with me? It was like my very own cheer squad was lining the road spurring me on. I began to run, puff, lift my arms and pump my legs. I ran and I ran and I did not stop. I ran that dog all over the shop! And... I made it! *applause*

Exceed Your Own Expectations

I didn’t think I could do it on my own but what I thought was impossible was suddenly done. When someone pioneers the way and cuts a path, others are supposed to follow. Be an example, an influencer - an overcomer! You don’t know if you can make it until you give it a try and see how far you get. A starting point is always necessary to measure progress.

If you can’t imagine running seven kilometres, break it down. Put your shoes on and imagine leaving the house and taking those first few steps. That’s where RB started. Do you think it looks impossible to start a new business in this economic climate, complete those assignments on time or make lifestyle changes that seem insurmountable? Just kept putting one foot in front of the other until the job is done. It always takes more hard work and perseverance than you first think so don’t quit just because it’s hard. Of course it’s hard but just remember, after every struggle comes an ease you can never experience without first venturing out of your comfort zone and breaking new ground.

©2010 Philippa Vette

No comments:

Post a Comment