Monday, June 14, 2010

The Family That Plays Together

In the name of family togetherness, we hit the road on the weekend and headed north along the Sunshine Coast. That seems normal but for the chick who’s been telling you to get a plan and stick to it... we had no plan – and no idea where we were going!

No Plan and No Idea
The dilemma was finding somewhere suitable for all of us; adults, teen, tween and toddler. Mr Practical, not usually known for his spontaneity, was understandably a little edgy during the drive. Several times he leaned over and tried to ask where we were going but I just shrugged my shoulders and gazed vacantly out the window. I didn’t have a clue either so he just kept driving.
I could think of many places he and I could go; browsing quaint little stores dotted throughout the hinterland, sipping exotic teas in idyllic cafe’s, sampling lavender chocolates... no wait a minute that’s what I’d like to be doing with girlfriends.

After thirty minutes, Mr P wrote the letters Z-O-O on the seat and turned off the freeway. He was taking charge! We were on our way to Australia Zoo. There was bound to be something for everyone there.

You Little Beauty!
We marvelled at the flying bird exhibition in the Crocossieum. They were all extraordinary but I’m not a fan of flapping wings close to me due to a terrifying ordeal as a little child. Being the ‘big girl’ I thought I was, I attempted to feed what seemed to me, like hundreds of hungry mama hens with only one small bucket of grain. They turned on me and ... well, I’d rather not talk about it. So, when a black cockatoo flew dangerously close to my head and my hair got a quick blow-dry from its wings, I had kittens right there in my seat! (Oddly, I exhibited none of the calmness and stability present when that renegade seagull conducted the same manoeuvre recently in Sydney. See “Something in Common” April 17, 2010.) I must’ve sensed a bad vibe from this bird.

We marvelled at the enormity of the three lady elephants, the elegance and striped beauty of the tigers and the kids had fun racing from one enclosure to the next reading the names and ages of the crocodile detainees to see who could find the biggest one.

The Man from Snowy River
My favourite had to be the young man dressed so fine in his Drizabone jacket. I was almost swept off my feet, not from being wooed but from hysterics. It was a wombat. Yes, a wombat wearing a jacket. It even had a real collar and a large pocket on the side... for what, spare change?

When we were all Crikey’d out and I’d explained for the umpteenth time why Steve Irwin wasn’t there, to a curious three year old, we took a short drive to our favourite gelataria at the beach. We discovered this gem of a store about seven years ago and although it is about one hour and twenty minutes drive from home, we have been known to get in the car and drive there just to get our ‘fix’. It is so good, it makes everything alright. We even discuss what flavours we’re going to order and we, being the connoisseurs of all things gelato, enjoy matching flavours and delight in new combinations. We take our dinky little spoons and taste test everyone’s (within our family that is - not strangers, that would be brash) and decide what we’re having next time, even before we leave the store.

Hyper-drive
Leaving the store, Mr P let Caylee tuck into his dripping gelati. None of us took much notice but wondered why all of a sudden when we were cruising down the freeway, she started talking non-stop (that’s not actually abnormal for two of my children – it’s in their genes) and her legs started a bizarre Riverdance frenzy while she was strapped into her car seat. For about half an hour or more, she was hyper. I turned to Mr P and asked, “What kind of ice cream did you get today?”
“Coconut and... coffee.”
COFFEE!
I glanced around to the back seat and suddenly, BANG, she was fast asleep. Well, that was interesting. Keep the caffeine away from the littlies is my tip for the day, unless they have a cleaning cloth in one hand and a bottle of Spray n’ Wipe in the other, then let it rip!
All's Well...
At the end of the day, we were tired but happy. We’d spent the day together, shared an experience and built a memory. So, no matter where you’re heading in life, even if you’re not sure of your destination or even your next move, just keep going forward, make some memorable moments, share the journey and step by step, you’ll find your way.

©2010 Philippa Vette

3 comments:

  1. Hi
    stumbled upon you at AMB.The photo at the top of this page reminded me of my families trip to Australia Zoo last year...we took the exact same photo of the kids. What a great day! Very happy memories, thank you for brightening my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog...can't wait till we can make it over - our zoo is non-existent in comparison! Love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for leaving comments. Some how I missed them. I wasn't been aloof! Hope you've found other stories to enjoy and please feel free to share the link with friends. Philippa

    ReplyDelete