Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Change of Season


Long before December even rolled around, we knew this summer would be a scorcher. Intense, steamy days that barely cooled at night were set to plague us for months. But on one unbearably humid day, everything changed.

His name was Murray. He stood on my doorstep holding a long, rectangular cardboard box. I managed to contain my delight momentarily but I really wanted to squeal and kick up my heels like Iris in 'The Holiday' when she discovered the swimming pool at Amanda's house. Yes, I was that excited.

Murray laboured away most of the day and each time he passed through the house, he looked even sweatier. I wanted to apologize for the extra-steamy conditions but I also desperately wanted him to finish his work. I felt torn. I paced back and forth like an expectant father, trying in vain to busy myself with insignificant tasks - my mind locked on the frenetic activity occurring just metres away. Finally, the call came.

A Significant Moment


Tentatively, I opened the door. My stare fixed to one particular spot. There, strategically positioned on our bedroom wall was the Mother or perhaps even Grandmother (it was so impressive!) of air conditioners. It could do almost anything, possibly make a cup of tea - I wasn't going to rule it out.

Murray passed me the remote. I felt like I'd just been handed the Olympic torch and entrusted to light The Flame. A respectful hush fell across the neighbourhood. With one slight touch of the on/off button, the unit responded instantly. Did I mention it was whisper-quiet? The bedroom temperature quickly chilled from a sticky thirty-two degrees to a pleasant twenty-four degrees Celsius. I flopped weightlessly onto the bed. A big, cool breath in - years of stuffy, sleepless nights breathed out. Bliss. (Incidentally, the girl in the photo just had her aircon installed too. She gets what I'm saying.)

I'd waited fifteen years for a beautifully cool room during summer and sometimes I wondered if it would ever happen. There always seemed to be other things that took priority.

As I lay there, I remembered some of the stressful moments; babies with heat rash, horribly warm furniture that was never pleasant to sit on, trips to the shopping mall for a reprieve from the heat (window shopping only back then *sob*) but I couldn't exclude some of the fun times; water play outside in the shade and... yep, that's all!

I used to feel sorry for my children when it was unbearably hot but they didn't seem to mind. That's all they knew whereas I had come from a much cooler climate. I tried my best to make it fun and it worked even if on the inside, I felt like I was suffocating from the heat and on the outside I was melting.

But summer does come to an end. The reward for me is a glorious autumn and a long, mild winter. So, as you can see, just as nature's seasons change, so too, do the seasons of life. The secret to happiness is learning to take a close look (not just a quick glance) to find something good in every season. You'll be amazed by what you find. Then you will find that you can scramble out of the troughs and valleys to experience your mountaintops with renewed gratitude and joy.
copyright 2010 Philippa Vette

2 comments: