Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Day a Dream Became a Reality

After an exhausting day driving like a crazy woman in an actual thunderstorm, I picked up my T-shirts, hurled a bundle of cash to the T-shirt guy and raced off to my other job.

When I finally got home at night, I was so tired I may have been asleep even before I got into bed - impossible to tell but likely. But after laying there for the shortest time, I was suddenly wide awake with every thought systematically hijacked by points on my List of Things Not to Dare Leave Behind, in the morning. Beautiful.


Destination: Boutique Market, Anne Street, Brisbane, Australia

I woke this morning even before the birds, (which in Brisbane is super early), feeling like I'd spent the night being "sucker-punched" on Wipe Out. With the help of every able-bodied person who was awake or semi-awake, the car was soon loaded with every product I had. Breakfast was consumed and in some cases, inhaled as we raced for the door. After fulfilling the obligatory babysitting drop offs, I barrelled down the freeway into the city.

THE DETOUR

With the quirky turn of events I've become accustomed to while developing my range of inspirational products, my greeting cards still needed to be cut to size. I desperately hoped the guillotine guy had got to work early and done mine first. Yahtzee! They were waiting for me and after parting with a little more cash, they were released into my steely grip. No time to look at them. Ann Street here we come.

INTRODUCING THE NEW BABY


As I set up my display I could hardly wait to peel back the newsprint that encased my greeting cards and take a peep. A sharp breath caught in my chest. The first sheet was blank. What? Nooooooo! Not another hurdle to clamber over. I've been tumbling over obstacles and deflecting unforeseen glitches for four months solid and I wasn't even sure if I even wanted to solve one more "issue". Then, the next sheet was a stylish, glossy, printed and embossed greeting card. Classy. I had a private "moment".
I sat each of the four types of cards on display as if I were introducing them to the T-shirts (another new addition only one day old) and to the framed quotes. There. A nice little family.


So there they were; no longer just a dream housed in the gallery of my mind - they were real. If only to prove to myself who had never ventured this far in unfamiliar waters - that dreams really can come true, then I'd have to say the journey thus far has been worth it.



copyright 2010 Philippa Vette

No comments:

Post a Comment